Senior Security Specialist – AU-43
: Germantown, MD
The Senior Security Specialist position is a Senior Adjudicator position within the Office of Personnel Security Operations (AU-43).
This position works under minimal supervision and is responsible for review of clearance case information to assure all investigative
elements have been completed by the investigation provider, as well as review all investigative information to determine whether a
recommendation to grant or continue the clearance is appropriate.
- Review and analyze completed, highly complex, and unique background packages prepared by Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA)
and apply previous knowledge of complex government guidelines regarding risk/liability to recommend approving or denying Personal Identity
Verification (PIV) or clearance requests.
- Identify complex national personnel security issues; and provide clear, concise, and complete case evaluation sheet to document or support access
- Prepare and issue letter of interrogatory to applicant to mitigate unresolved administrative guideline security concerns, review results
when completed, and initiate administrative review process for unresolved derogatory information.
- Prepare referral for psychological evaluations as needed, review results when completed, and initiate administrative review process for
unresolved derogatory information.
- Perform adjudication of classified and unclassified personnel security cases in accordance with guiding rules, regulations, and orders.
- In cases of derogatory information, provide a recommendation in writing to Department of Energy (DOE) on what action to take.
- Prepares necessary correspondence to include letters of interrogatory and psychiatric evaluation requests.
- May conduct file reviews of other personnel security activity files such as the Human Reliability Program (HRP).
- Processes Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-12) (PIV) and clearance cases to include reciprocities from other government agencies,
upgrades, downgrades, terminations, transfers, and extensions.
- Screens security questionnaires for public trust and national security for accuracy/completeness and derogatory information.
- Competently uses clearance support programs such as CATS/CPCI/CVS/JPAS.
- Must possess a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college in such fields as one of the engineering disciplines,
law enforcement, or security management. Two years of relevant experience may be substituted in lieu of one year of education.
A master's degree can substitute for five years of the required experience.
- Must have 15 years of experience within the field of nuclear safeguards and security.
- Must be able to perform the adjudicative responsibilities of this position.
- Shall possess an excellent working knowledge of the protection of classified matter, computer systems, physical systems,
information security, special nuclear material, protective forces, and the protection of property and assets.
- Must demonstrate the ability to compile information and statistics in support of evaluation processes.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of techniques to protect special nuclear materials and classified documents as well as information
against diversion, theft, sabotage, and espionage.
- Must demonstrate the ability to make presentations (oral and written) and to communicate effectively.
- DOE site access requires the qualified candidate be a U.S. citizen with an Active DOE “Q” security clearance or Department of
Defense (DOD) Top Secret (TS) equivalent. The candidate’s written consent to conduct a background check for the purposes of maintaining
a security clearance will be required as a condition of employment.
- Certain positions requiring a security clearance may require the periodic successful completion of a counterintelligence-scope
- Pre-employment and ongoing reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal substances will be conducted as a requirement for
ongoing access to DOE sites. The candidate’s written consent to conduct such tests will be required as a condition of employment.
Desired or Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in the DOE Complex, specifically in Safeguards and Security (S&S).
- Knowledge of DOE sites and types of operation.
Please e-mail your résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/M/F/Vet/Disabled (Compliant with the new VEVRAA and Section 503 rules.)